As lifestyle in India is becoming increasingly hectic, the issue of stress and anxiety amongst its denizens has been on a swift rise too. Moreover, it has gone beyond affecting them on a psychological level, by taking a toll on them physically too, in the form of nervous breakdowns and a number of disorders.
This increasing level of stress and anxiety has been observed across all demographics of the country, particularly in the young working class. According to a National Mental Health survey undertaken in October 2018, approximately 150 million people in India need care for their mental health condition.
Another study conducted by an insurance company in November 2018 found that 95 per cent of Indian millennials admitted to being more stressed out than their worldwide cohorts, especially in major cities like Mumbai, Bengaluru and New Delhi, and are highly prone to various physical and mental illnesses. There is thus, a growing need for widespread awareness regarding the importance of mental health.
Following are a few ways to prevent the detrimental effects of stress and anxiety in the long haul, and instead, cope with them effectively for good and long—lasting physical and mental health:
- Increase physical activity — One of the best ways to combat stress is by exercising. Different forms of physical activity like walking, running, dancing, camping/trekking, cycling, and several others that you really enjoy can be adopted. These work wonders to relieve stress and anxiety, and in turn, enhance your confidence and self-esteem.
- Focus on your diet — It is crucial to watch what you eat and drink, in order to keep anxiety levels in control. Caffeine in forms like cola drinks, tea, and coffee along with alcohol must be consumed in miniscule amounts as they can trigger panic attacks. The recommended way is to reduce their intake gradually, and instead, stick to consuming nutritious food and beverages to keep your body and mind healthy.
- Write about your feelings and talk to close ones — An effective way of dealing with tension is to write about it, as well as have conversations about it with family or friends. With respect to writing, make it point to also jot down what you are grateful for, as gratitude goes a long way in reducing stress. Moreover, get social support from your near and dear ones to get through tense times by getting a sense of belonging and increased self—worth.
- Sleep well and indulge in deep breathing — Disrupted sleep is one of the most common causes of frequent anxiety and stress, as well as emotional disorders. Therefore, ensure that you get adequate rest, for a positive impact on your mood and stress levels. Additionally, practice some deep breathing and meditation via yoga to clear your head and feel relaxed.
- Seek medical counseling — As medical counseling has gradually evolved across the globe, Indians are also gradually opening up to the idea. To combat stress and anxiety, talking to an expert and seeking medical advice is an excellent method. In India, there are online services as well as robust, quick, and cost—free helplines like 104 to seamlessly achieve this purpose. Ziqitza Healthcare Limited (ZHL), India’s fastest emergency response service provider closely works with state governments to successfully run the 104 helpline to provide medical counseling across demographics as part of its prompt EMS.